This Is The Salary Earned By The German Chancellor
This Is The Salary Earned By The German Chancellor
The salaries of well-known personalities such as the German Chancellor, business leaders, athletes and artists are often the subject of public debate. While the latter can often only be estimated, the salary of the German Chancellor can be publicly viewed or traced.
Is The German Chancellor’s Salary Appropriate?
Perhaps you, too, are one of those people who think that the work performance of well-known personalities such as the German Chancellor is disproportionate to their salary. Because while almost everyone considers their own salary to be too low, the prevailing opinion is that big earners earn too much. However, it is often overlooked that the job of the German Chancellor or even a DAX CEO is a 24/7 job that comes with a lot of responsibility. The Chancellor forms and heads the government, holds the policy-making authority and is responsible for the weal and woe of 82 million inhabitants. Especially in times of crisis, the job is anything but easy and demands a lot from the incumbent, perhaps even too much.
The Salary Of The Federal Chancellor Is Composed As Follows
On July 1, 2022, the parliamentary allowances were adjusted. Based on this last adjustment, the Chancellor currently receives a monthly salary of €30,189.81. This is made up of the following components:
- The official salary amounting to 1 2/3 of the basic salary of grade B11, including generally granted allowances. This corresponds to approximately €25,000.
- A local allowance amounting to 1 1/3 of the local allowance granted in grade B11. This corresponds to approximately €1,200.
- An annual service allowance of €12,271.01. That makes a good €1,000 per month.
- The remainder consists of half the remuneration of members of parliament, since the Chancellor is usually also a member of the German Bundestag.
- The Chancellor is also entitled to a proportion of the lump-sum expense allowance from his work as a member of parliament. It can amount to more than €3,000, depending on other conditions (official car, etc.).
- If it should be impossible for the Federal Chancellor to occupy the official residence to which he is entitled and to relocate the household, he is entitled to an annual allowance of €1,840.65, i.e. about €150 per month.
The Salary Of The German Chancellor After The Term Of Office
The income of the German Chancellor can therefore be between €30,000 and €40,000. He and the federal ministers are forbidden to have a sideline. He is supposed to use his full power for the good of the country. This is different from normal members of parliament, who must, however, declare their supplementary income. The Chancellor draws his salary only during his term of office. A legislative term lasts 4 years, but multiple re-election is possible. After the end of office, there is a transitional allowance, which flows in full for the first three months and is then halved. In total, it is paid for up to two years. Other income is then possible again, which is offset against the transitional allowance. A pension can be paid from the age of 60 and the amount depends on the years in office. It can rise to a maximum of just under €12,000.
Does The German Chancellor’s Salary Match His Job Performance?
The German Chancellor is one of about 200 heads of government in the world and he is not one of the least important in this rank. He can certainly be ranked in the top 10. He must be incorruptible, which should also be ensured by the chancellor’s salary, and always be ready to jet through the world, manage crises and make far-reaching decisions. Explanations to the population should not be forgotten either. Seen in this light, a scant €400,000 a year is not really too much. Below are a few salary comparisons with other well-known personalities to put the issue in perspective:
- At the Wimbledon tennis tournament, the winner receives €2.3 million in prize money, six times as much as the German Chancellor. The income of Germany’s most successful tennis player, Alexander Zverev, is estimated at around €6 million for 2022.
- The goalkeeper of Bayern Munich, Manuel Neuer, earns as much as the monthly salary of the German Chancellor in one day. He comes to 11 million in salary a year. This does not include advertising income.
- VW CEO Herbert Diess earned about €10.3 million in 2021, including pension expenses. This makes him one of the top earners among DAX board members.
- In the case of successful artists such as Helene Fischer, only estimates can be made. Her salary for 2021 was estimated at around €10 million.
The Salary Of The German Chancellor Is Relatively Low
Compared to other well-known personalities, the Chancellor’s salary is quite modest. Whether it is appropriate and whether the salaries of other celebrities are too high, however, ultimately remains a matter of taste.
What Salary Does A Product Manager Earn? What Salary Does A Product Manager Earn? Product manager is a job that is in high demand, but what salary can you expect to earn if you pursue this career path? The answer is highly dependent on the industry and the design of...
Forced To Work Overtime - How You Can Defend YourselfForced To Work Overtime - How You Can Defend YourselfFirst of all, being forced to work overtime is something that should no longer exist. If you find yourself in a situation where your boss is forcing you to work...
Career Development: Steep Or Rather Flat?Career Development: Steep Or Rather Flat?Who doesn't dream of a steep career progression? If you are looking for your first job, then you will certainly have concrete ideas about what this job should look like. A meaningful...